How to Cook Ash
“Ash Reshteh” is a delicious soup for vegetarians. This soup is made with Persian noodle which is similar to fettuccine and fresh frozen herbs & vegetables.
Ingredients:- 1 bag of Seven & Half Mixed Herbs
- 1 cup red kidney beans, soaked overnight, drain
- 1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight, drain
- 1 cup lentils
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces reshteh (noodles) - can be purchased in Persian/Iranian grocery stores
- Water as needed for soup
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt & pepper
For Garnish:- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and roasted
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped and roasted
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 cup Kashk (liquid whey)
1. In a large stockpot, Satuee chopped onions over Medium heat for 10 minutes, add salt, pepper, and turmeric
2. Add canned cooked kidney beans, navy beans, and chickpeas; pour in the water and bring to a boil, then add and Mixed Herbs. Uncover and simmer for 45 minutes over Low heat stirring from time to time.
3. Add rice pasta (Reshteh ). If the soup is too thick, add ½ cup water and return to a boil. Simmer for more few minutes. Before serving, use this mixture and Kashk to design the Ash.
4. To make the topping: in a skillet, sautee sliced onions over Medium-high heat, stirring, until browned. Add in mint and stir until fragrant.